West Michigan Veterans Coalition
2023 John Irwin Scholarship
APPLICATIONS DUE: SEPTEMBER 30, 2023
The West Michigan Veterans Coalition Armed Forces Dependent Scholarship is available to those that have served or are serving in the US Armed Forces, their Spouses and Dependent Children up to age 26 of Active Duty, National Guard, Reserves, Retired and honorable discharged members of the United States Armed Forces who are currently attending or have been accepted into either a College, University or Trade School. The scholarship may be used to support school expenses such as books, tuition, transportation, housing, etc.
• Must be a resident of or physically attending a school in one of the following counties:Allegan, Barry, Ionia, Lake, Kent, Mason, Mecosta, Montcalm, Muskegon Newaygo,Oceana, Osceola, or Ottawa County.
• Service Member must be currently serving, retired or honorably discharged Member of theUnited States Military including those that have served in the National Guard or Reserves.
• Must be a spouse or dependent child of the service member and either currently attending orhave been accepted to a college, university, or trade school. Dependents may be a highschool senior who had been accept into a college, university, or trade school.
• Currently enrolled students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 (or higher) on a 4.0 scale orbe able to show hours toward certification of a skilled trade.
• Completed Application
• Copy of Marriage License or Dependents Birth Certificate
• Documentation of Military Service for Service Member (DD214, NGB 22, Letter of Discharge, or current orders) with social security number blacked out.
• Official copy of his/her most current transcript with cumulative grade point average or credit hours toward certification of skilled trade
• Three (3) letters of recommendation (excluding family members), must be signed and dated (within application period) by the writers
• Provide a 1500-word essay telling the scholarship committee explaining the biggest challenge you have encountered, what you did to overcome that challenge, and how did it change your perspective.
TO APPLY go to www.westmichiganveterans.org or mail completed application to West Michigan Veterans Coalition: C/O Deb Unseld, PO Box 355, Hudsonville, MI 49426. The applications will then be reviewed by a committee and 2 scholarships will be awarded ( ONE (1) to a Service Member/Veteran and ONE (1) to a Spouse/Dependent) based on eligibility requirements and application criteria. Those awarded the John Irwin Scholarship will not be allowed to apply in the future.